Saturday, August 29, 2026

Single-Strand Gemstone Necklaces


 

Treasure!

I’ve been making some single-strand gemstone necklaces and each time I finish one that I’m pretty sure I will sell, I pop it into a bag to protect it from dust. So far I have three done in the past few days, and when I looked at the bag sitting on my beading table it looked so delicious, like treasure, I just had to post so you can see them!

African Turquoise and Copper

The first one you see here is African turquoise in its natural form. It’s a very earthy, protective stone that many cultures value for its ability to repel negative energies, thereby protecting the wearer from all kinds of things, including invisible but measurable electronic pollution, as well as harmful energies emanating from other humans. Nice to have a bubble of clean energy around us! It is also a strong grounding stone, helping us stay connected and aligned with our natural environment.

I’ve always loved copper with turquoise as the blues and oranges are complementary color-wise. Copper is a metal that has been defined in some cultures as a “bridging” metal that enhances the flow between worlds/realities. It’s also valued by some for its ability to bring ease with joint issues and arthritis.

Here’s a close-up of the pattern.

The beads are about 6mm across combining flat heishis with rondelle shaped copper beads that allow the necklace to bend gracefully into the circle shape.

Magnetic Clasp

I love these magnetic clasps because they’re easy on/off, but the magnets are strong so they’ll hold until you take it off. The technique that works best is to tuck your thumbnail between the magnets and slide it apart, rather than pulling, which may eventually break the attachment. The clasp is attached with wire guards and has two crimped beads on each side for strength and endurance. Great quality!

Sunstone and Golden Spacers

Sunstone is a gemstone that got its name from the beautiful sparkles inherent in the stone. It’s described as a “joyful, light-inspiring stone” by my favorite gemstone expert, Judy Hall in her book, The Crystal Bible. She says sunstone “helps you to nurture yourself,” and at this time especially we can all benefit from nurturing self-care. Judy writes that this stone is "particularly effective for seasonal affective disorder,” which some of us who live in Central PA do experience when we have long periods of cloud cover and blue skies are but a fond remembrance of summer.

Rainy day? Pop on your sunstone!

The photo above shows the beautiful symmetrical patterning of the gemstone heishis and the gold rondelles. I just love a little symmetry! Something about balance is very satisfying indeed. This necklace would look especially beautiful on those lucky enough to have dark skin.

The magnetic clasp, wire guards, and crimps.

It also has the clasp I love so you can put it on and take it off all by yourself. If you have long hair, which I do, put it on backwards, then slide the necklace so the clasp sits at the back of your neck - this way you don’t get your hair caught in the magnet, lol. Just a tip from one who wears her single-strands all the time : ) Sometimes I even wear two at a time!

Traditional Tiger’s Eye

Tiger’s Eye is a beloved gemstone much appreciated for its ability to combine “the earth energies with the energies of the sun,” writes Judy Hall, in The Crystal Bible. She lets us know it “brings out ability and assists in accomplishing goals.” Always good to know the energies you’re wearing so you can choose what is helpful for your particular goals at any given time. 

Soft earth colors combined with the muted sparkle of gold.

The shimmering tones of dark browns and golds in the tiger’s eye heishis called for a complement of gold in the rondelle spacers, and in the photo above you can see the patterning. These necklaces are approximately 18 inches so they hang below the collar bone, comfortable, but still easily visible under a button up blouse. I love wearing mine with scoop neck tees that leave enough room for the necklace to shine.

Gold magnetic clasp, wire guards, and crimps.

Here’s that quality again! The wire guards really contribute to the longevity of the necklace since the wire is protected from rubbing on the loop of the clasp. I’m a fiend for the best quality I can bring about in my creations.

I’ll post again when these, and more, become available in town for sale. Thanks for checking in! Follow me to stay tuned : )

Namaste,

~Jen


No comments:

Post a Comment