Thursday, October 8, 2015

Make your own Dream Catcher at the Bellefonte Art Museum!

Detail of my new Dream Catcher!
Lucky me, lucky you, I get to teach a class at the Bellefonte Art Museum this Sunday, October 11th, 2015, from 1-4:30 p.m. on how to make your very own Dream Catcher! It's a drop-in class, takes from 1 to 2 hours depending on the size you choose. All supplies are provided. 28 hoops available. $15.00 for children, $25.00 for adults. Proceeds go to support the museum so we can do more lovely, fun, artistic things together!


Who can resist this kind of texture and color?!
I must thank my good friend, Judith Finkelstein for the opportunity to teach this class. She had planned to teach it but had to travel to New York, so I get to step in, hope I can do as well as she does. Judith donated most of the materials too, and they're GORGEOUS. She's a textile artist whose work can regularly be seen at the museum.


More colors to choose from, yummy!
Today was practice day for me, since I've never done this before, and I can say it is the most FUN! I think I'm now addicted to making beautiful Dream Catchers and you'll be seeing some at the Green Drake Gallery for sale. 

I studied up on the history of Dream Catchers, and there's all kinds of information, from how they are done traditionally, to the embellishments creative people have added in their own creative ways, inspired, but not bound by tradition. One of the best places for information on not only Dream Catchers, but various types of dreams, is Dream-Catchers.org


My Dream Catcher
I really enjoyed the process of making a Dream Catcher, and it was pretty easy. It's very peaceful winding the soft, colored yarn around the hoop (that takes the longest), and exciting to build the web and watch it grow. I added some sparkly beads to my web, and a beautiful little turkey feather in the center. Choosing the embellishment for the bottom was loads of fun, and also very easy. 

And now my heart is glowing and I can't wait to do this with you on Sunday, so your heart can glow too! It's so much fun to make something so beautiful, and to have it hanging by your bed each night, catching those bad dreams, and letting all the good ones through.


Here's a beautiful, soft Dream Catcher that Judith made.
You can see by the photos above that part of the fun is that Dream Catchers are as different as the creative people who make them. Aren't they beautiful!

Hope to see you soon and spend some fun, creative time with you.

Namaste,
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment